Sorry guys, I’ve been talking to Mom about the state of the family and lost track of time. I’ll update with a few extra thougths in a little while.
The other night Dad asked me to fix his television. It wasn’t getting a signal from anything, so I just fiddled with the remote. Nothing. So I used the buttons on the TV itself. Nothing. Then I found the remote that came with the TV, not the Direct TV one. Finally it switched over to the right input. Problem solved, right? Nope. The Direct TV remote wasn’t working properly. So I asked dad if he trusted me and after a few moments he said “Yeah?” I went online and found out if you could open up one of those remotes because the screw holes are not easily visible. It turns out you can, and several kind soulds have videos detailing the proceedure. I cracked open the thing and found that something had been spilled on it. I’m guessing coffe, but it could also have been dog barf. Or possibly a combination of the two. Anyway it has soaked into the circut board and was clearly gumming up the buttons. I cleaned it out as best I could, made sure nothing obvious was broken, and sealed it back shut. It worked, more or less. Not perfectly, but after a second cleaning I decided it wasn’t going to get any better through any machinations I might perform. The main part of the circut was still obviously wet and there was nothing to be done other than to wait and see. A couple of days later the thing just started working again. I tested the whole thing and every button performs the tasks it’s labled for. Maybe not the most amazing story, but it saved the $30 some odd bucks it takes to replace one of those remotes at least.
The internet is great when it comes to looking up how to fix stuff. I’m glad that so many people don’t just give up when things break, and also have webcams. XD