2010-12-06-BFP699-verybadthings


699 Very Bad Things.

11 Comments

As I said in the blog yesterday, I set up a temporary alternate site to help ease the trouble on the main.  http://mgc-projects.info/between_failures/ I’m not sure if the RSS is working there, but each new page will go up there too until I can repair the home site.  Since all the adds work properly it doesn’t matter which one you use.  The alternate just happens to be much faster at the moment.  It doesn’t have the full archive though because there’s no way to quickly create one that I can find and 600 pages of anything takes forever to create.  Just the stuff from Carol’s disguise debacle till now took hours.  You regulars don’t really need the full archive though.

It’s set up as a Comicpress site because the alternate server won’t let me install Webcomic & Inkbot.  They’ve improved a lot of stuff in Comicpress since I used it last, but it’s still super annoying and not intuitive at all to use.  I can’t for the life of me remember how you ad a comic post to Comicpress, so every post is just a blog post with the comic page stuck in.  I would consider that a design flaw.  That’s also why there’s an add directly above the page.  It’s supposed to go banner add, logo, links,  navigation, comic, navigation, blog, add.  I also can’t figure out how to widen the post area, so the page looks elongated.  If you click the image you can easily see it as it’s meant to be seen.

Having used Comicpress & Inkblot pretty extensively, now I can say that neither is very good for presenting a webcomic.  They both have some things they do very well and some things they do very poorly.  If I could pick and choose parts I think I could  cobble together the perfect platform from what each has available now though.  If I had the skills & time I would sit down and make the ultimate comic publishing software for the web.  Alas, I am an artist and as such resigned to our unique doom.